[ ENGLISH NEWSPAPERS IN JAPAN ]
There are several English Language newspapers available in Japan and single issues are usually available at kiosks at major railway stations and English bookstores.
However, if you live out in the suburbs or off the beaten track, buying a daily paper at one of these places is not an option.
On the other hand, no-matter where you live in Japan, getting a newspaper delivered to your apartment couldn’t be easier; the minimum subscription period is usually one full calendar month and fees are collected in cash at your door by the local distribution agent around the end of each month.
It is also usually quite easy to suspend your subscription if you are going on vacation, or change the delivery address if you are moving.
The Japan Times
- Content: Established in 1897, the JT provides comprehensive coverage of world and domestic news, sports, business and politics. It also boasts the largest classified ad sections of any English-language daily in Japan.
- Pages: 20-24 pages
- Subscription Fee: 3,900 yen per month (150 yen per issue). For subscriptions that begin after the first of the month, fees are based on a daily rate of 150 yen per issue.
- How to: Apply on-line at http://club.japantimes.co.jp/en or call toll-free 0120-036-242 (Monday-Friday, 10:00 – 17:00), FAX toll-free 0120-051-298, or e-mail email@example.com.
- In Nagoya, the Japan Times is also available at the following stations: Aratama-bashi, Fujigaoka, Fushimi, Hoshigaoka, Kami Maezu, Kanayama, Nagoya, Nonami, and Sakae.
The Daily Yomiuri
- Content: The DY provides coverage of world events from multiple sources; in addition to their own regular news coverage, throughout the week the DY features sections from the Washington Post, the LA Times, the Chicago Tribune, and The Times of London.
- Pages: 24 pages
- Subscription Fee: 2,650 yen per calendar month. For subscriptions that begin after the first of the month, fees are based on a daily rate of 150 yen per issue.
- How to: Apply on-line at http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy or call toll-free 0120-43-1159 (direct at 03-3216-8866; fax 03-3216-4145).
The International Herald Tribune / Asahi Shimbun
- Content: Morning newspaper, published from Monday through Saturday
- Pages: 20 pages
- Subscription Fee: 3,900 yen /month (6 months 22,200 Yen, 1year 43,200 Yen)
- Affiliate Papers:
- Asahi Weekly – Weekly tabloid – 970 yen/month, (250 yen/copy)
- New York Times Weekly Review – Weekly newspaper 2,652 Yen /13 weeks, 5,304 Yen /26 weeks, 10,608 Yen /52weeks (204 Yen/copy). Published on Sundays in NY, but is delivered on the following Wednesday at the earliest.
- How to: Apply on-line at http://www.asahi.com/english or call toll-free 0120-456-371(7:00-22:00); fax 03-5541-8696.
( NIC Information )