[ TOKYO WEEKENDER MAGAZINE ]
Seventy years ago, at 8:15 am on August 6, 1945,
an atomic bomb was dropped on the city of Hiroshima.
The building now known as the Genbaku Dome,
or the Hiroshima Peace Memorial,
was the only building left standing in the vicinity of ground zero
and remains today as a memorial of the tens of thousands
who lost their lives to the explosion and its aftermath.
Designed by Czech architect Jan Letzel, the building was known
as the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall by 1933
A photo of the building taken some months after the dropping of the bomb
The Genbaku Dome as it stands at present.
The building was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996
[ Tokyo WEEKENDER Magazine ]